Randall and Erin

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Practice Areas
  4. /
  5. Temporary Resident Applications and

Temporary Resident Applications and Extensions

We assist clients in the filing of all temporary residence applications with overseas visa offices, with a focus on cases with previous refusals and/or admissibility issues. We also offer services in pathwaying clients from temporary residence pathways to permanent residence pathways.

We assist in filing Temporary Resident Visas for our clients and their family members. We focus on cases with previous refusals, having to navigate administrative responses, litigation, or new applications as required.

We assist international students in their applications for student permits and after arrival in Canada, compliance with study permit terms and conditions. We advise on unique study situations including minor students, students at private institutions transferring to public institutions, actively pursuing studies requirements, leave provisions, and the ability to work on and off campus.

Our firm uniquely assists on work permits primarily on the employee side. We assist in submitting applications under the International Mobility Program (“IMP”) and Temporary Foreign Worker Program (“TFWP”) to ensure your interests are best represented. We have a particular focus on complex worker issues, including refusals, admissibility issues, and changes in work circumstances. We also provide independent legal advice to employees seeking to confirm/verify advice received from their employers/employer counsel. We advise on the Open Work Permit for Vulnerable Workers.

We also have extensive expertise in post-graduate work permits (“PGWP”), including issues with eligibility, restoration, and alternative pathways, if required.

Individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV or “visitor visa”) to enter or transit through Canada.  A visitor visa allows individuals to enter and remain in Canada for a restricted period of time. Visitors are prohibited from working or studying without authorization.

To determine if you require a TRV: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt individuals who travel to or transit through Canada by air will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). To determine if you require an eTA: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

We  assist on extension applications inside Canada for students and workers. These include visitor record extensions, student permit extension, and work permit extensions (bridging open work permits).

We also assist those who have lost status in Canada but are seeking to restore their status as temporary residents within a 90-day period from their loss of status.