Individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents can seek to enter or remain in Canada as temporary residents. Nationals of countries that are not visa-exempt will require a visitor visa before arriving in Canada. In most cases, temporary residents will require authorization to work or study in the form of a work permit or study permit.